Footloose- 7 Nights/8 Days
An unguided walking holiday from Chania to Komitadhas
Footloose walking trip option of Western Crete.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 Arrive Chania and explore the old town and port of Chania.
- Day 2 Transfer to the village of Therisso, and walk the foothills of the White mountains. Stop at the picturesque village of Zourva to enjoy the superb views of the north coast, before descending through orange groves to a small village with an exquisite Byzantine chapel before your transfer back to Chania. (5 hours) Overnight in Chania.
- Day 3 Transfer to the beautiful Omalos Plateau (1050m) in the heart of the White Mountains. Alternatively you can transfer to Xiloskalo, at the head of the Samaria Gorge where you can walk up to the Kallergi Mountain Hut (1689m) to admire the magnificent view before walking back down the track to Omalos for overnight.
- Day 4 Pack for one night and leave your main luggage at Omalos. Transfer to Xiloskalo to start your walk down the full length of the Gorge of Samaria. The gorge is one of the finest in Europe with forest trees of pine, cypress and holly oak, and massive plane trees. Sixteen kilometres long, the gorge walls rise in places to 600 metres. The flora of the gorge is particularly abundant in the spring. On the way down you pass the chapel of Ag. Nikolaos and later, the old deserted village of Samaria. Next, the gorge narrows to a mere two metres at the famous Iron Gates. Emerge finally at the village of Agia Roumeli where you can swim in the Libyan sea (18km, approximately 6 hours). Overnight in Agia Roumeli.
- Day 5 Enjoy a magnificent coastal walk, dropping down at one point to the beach to visit the little church of Agios Pavlos, where St Paul is said to have landed on his voyage to Rome. Descend to the oasis-like Marble Beach. Lovely views into crystal clear turquoise pools as you descend along the cliffs into the fishing village of Loutro. (15km, approximately 5 hours). Overnight in Loutro.
- Day 6 Day free to relax in the sun in one of the many idyllic little coves, hire a canoe or do a circular walk to the base of the dramatic Aradena gorge. Overnight in Loutro.
- Day 7 Option to take the coastal path up to the ruined Turkish fortress of Loutro before continuing to the idyllic Sweetwater Beach. After a swim and leisurely picnic walk along the breathtaking and deserted coastline to the old port of Sfakia.. Overnight in Sfakia
- Day 8 Walking holiday arrangements end after breakfast. Direct buses to Chania operate from Sfakia.
- Day 9
- Day 10
- Day 11
- Day 12
- Day 13
- Day 14
- Day 15
- Day 16
- Day 17
- Day 18
- Day 19
- Day 20
Extension to – – 0 Nights/0 Days
Itinerary and Highlights