Unspoilt Umbria - Italy's Green Heart
Footloose- 6 Nights/7 Days
Known as Italy’s ‘Green Heart’, the south east area of Umbria is rugged, wild, incredibly varied and beautiful. Where pretty valleys flow down from high mountain pastures and the rounded peaks of the Sibillini mountains.
Unlike the famous centres of Assisi and Perugia, this relatively inaccessible area is yet to be discovered by tourists. There are isolated hill towns, lone monasteries and castle ruins, great plains that stretch between mountains that create the startling views that draw walkers to this region.
The walking holiday starts from the historic town of Spoleto (approx 50 kms to the south of Assisi) that has remnants from Roman and Etruscan times. It follows the verdant valley of the Val di Nera to woodland plains and grassy moorland hemmed by mountains, to the awe-inspiring Sibillini Mountains and the ‘Piano Grande’, a vast valley floor enclosed by mountains.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 Arrive Spoleto, one of Umbria’s finest hill-top towns.
- Day 2 Walk over the ancient Ponte delle Torri to enter the forrested area of Monteluco. Hike to the top of the mountain to reach one of the most important San Francesco convents (10 km, 4 hrs).
- Day 3 Transfer to Monteluco and the scenic Porelle Pass. Walk through ancient woodland and ascend a panoramic pass before descending steeply from the Forca Pass to the Abbey di San Pietro in Valle (17km, 6hrs).
Shorter option: Transfer to Piedipaterno and walk through verdant farmland dotted with tiny villages along the Nera River such as the pretty town of Scheggino. At Macenano ascend to the magnificent abbey of San Pietro in Valle (11km, 4hrs). Tonight you stay within the ancient walls of the monastery.
- Day 4 Transfer to the ancient village of Visso in the Monti Sibillini National Park. Ascend to grassy moorland fringed by rocky peaks. Wind gradually downhill towards the small village of Preci (13km, 4.5hrs).
- Day 5 From Preci a superb route ascends an ancient path that winds through trees to the Abbey di Sant Eutizio. From here, a medieval trail crosses Monte Macchialunga then along the valley to another pass for the long, steep descent to the medieval walled town of Norcia (16km, 6.5hrs). An option is offered for an easier day (8km, 3.5 hrs).
- Day 6 Walk deep into the Monti Sibillini National Park ascending some 1,000 metres to magnificent grassy uplands for superb views of the wild Piano Grande (‘Great Plain’) below. Continue to the remote and atmospheric village of Castelluccio -
a fantastic climax to the holiday. Transfer back to Norcia (15km 6hrs).
RECOMMENDED OPTION: Shorter option to just do a circuit walk on the Piano Grande (6km, 3hrs).
- Day 7 Walking holiday arrangements terminate with a transfer back to Spoleto. Or extend to our "La Tuscia - Viterbo to Orvieto" walk.
- Day 8
- Day 9
- Day 10
- Day 11
- Day 12
- Day 13
- Day 14
- Day 15
- Day 16
- Day 17
- Day 18
- Day 19
- Day 20
Extension to Assisi & Perugia – Footloose – 1 Nights/1 Days
Extend your stay in the delightful historical town of Spoleto which is ideally located for day excursions by rail to the major towns of Assisi and Perugia.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 7 Spoleto