Southern Spain and Morocco
Guided- 14 Nights/15 Days
In this guided adventure you cross over where Europe, Africa and the Middle East meet and experience two very different worlds that are only miles apart. Andalucia’s strong Moorish influences and wild hilly landscapes dotted with brilliant white-washed villages, are a short flight across the Straits of Gibraltar from Morocco’s old medinas, grand mosques, colourful souks (bazaars) and majestic minarets.
From Casablanca, follow the classic route to the imperial cities of Rabat, Meknes, Fes and end in the icon of Morocco - Marrakech. Spice markets, snake charmers, story tellers and architectural masterpieces little changed by time, are a small part of the fascinating culture mix of this country. Ruined citadels, Roman remains, desert oases with lush palm groves, and kasbahs (villages) the colour of burnt siena, cast an evocative spell on the vast landscape.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 (Sun) Arrive in Seville.
- Day 2 Walking tour of Seville - visit Alcazar Palace and climb up Giralda Mosque Tower (3 hours).
- Day 3 Drive to Grazalema. Guided walk around Zahara de la Sierra and Grazalema National Park (3 hours).
- Day 4 Day trip and walking tour in Ronda and surroundings (3 hours).
- Day 5 Free day in Grazalema. Optional walks in national park.
- Day 6 Drive to Granada. Walking tour around Moorish Quarter (2 hours).
- Day 7 Visit Alhambra Palace. Optional afternoon walk in surrounding countryside.
- Day 8 Transfer to Madrid Airport and fly to Casablanca.
- Day 9 After visiting Casablanca’s impressive mosque, drive to Rabat, the elegant capital of Morocco. It contains numerous fine Arab monuments. The earliest known settlement is now known as the Chellah. After our visit here we explore the lovely walled quarter known as the Kasbah des Oudaias.
- Day 10 Visit Volubilis, the most impressive Roman site in Morocco and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Explore the many public buildings and see several fine mosaic floors still intact at the House of Orpheus. Continue to nearby Meknes to explore the charming streets of the old medina and souk. Overnight Fes.
- Day 11 Explore the old city of Fes, the spiritual and cultural heart of Morocco.
- Day 12 Fes. Drive to spa village of Moulay Yacoub for a swim or a traditional hot bath.
- Day 13 Travel to Marrakech through the winding roads of the Atlas. Stay at a traditional riad not far from the great square of Jemaa el Fna, one of the largest public spaces in the world and unique to Marrakech. Every night it comes alive with snake-charmers, musicians, story-tellers, fire-eaters and many small outdoor restaurants.
- Day 14 Morning tour of the old medina. Visit the beautiful Bahia Palace and Marrakech Museum, itself a former palace.
- Day 15 Walking holiday ends in Marrakech this morning (Sun).
- Day 16
- Day 17
- Day 18
- Day 19
- Day 20
Extension to Essaouira on the Atlantic Coast – Footloose – 2 Nights/3 Days
Little has changed since the days of sea pirates in this attractive seaside town. There are numerous shops and fine art galleries.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 15 Essaouira
- Day 16 Essaouira
- Day 17 Essaouira