Southern Italy – Apulia and Basilicata
Guided- 6 Nights/7 Days
A guided walking holiday amongst Rock Churches & the ‘Trulli’ Country
Gentle walks between Southern Italy’s two UNESCO World Heritage towns of Alberobello in Apulia, and Matera in Basilicata. See the unique Trulli architecture of Alberobello, and the rock cave dwellings and stone houses of the ‘Sassi’ of Matera.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 The Sassi of Matera. Arrive Matera, Italy. Afternoon guided tour on foot of the Sassi and in the historic centre: the Baroque town; Romanesque Churches and cave civilisation (2 hrs). Dinner at a typical restaurant in the Sassi.
- Day 2 Moors of Matera (6km - 5 hrs guided). Discover treasures of the rock civilisation and its unique flora and fauna. Picnic at the once village of Cristo la Selva, then return to Matera via the ancient Abbey of S. Michele Arcangelo.
- Day 3 Park of Rock Churches (self guided - 4 km, 4 hrs). This morning visit a local bakery to see the making of Italian Matera bread. Continue to Murgia Timone, the plateau in front of the Sassi to walk the path dotted with caves and Rock Churches.
- Day 4 Valle d’Itria (self guided - 6 km, 3 hrs). Transfer to the centre of Puglia. Covered with vineyards and olive groves, the valley is dotted with hundreds of trulli, (curious stone farmhouses). Walk to the village of Alberobello where the streets are packed with ‘trulli’. Continue through green pastures, woodland and along country lanes to the 6thC church of San Pietro in Barsento. Return to Alberobello for overnight.
- Day 5 Ostuni - the ‘White City’ (self guided - 7km, 4 hrs). Ostuni overlooks the Adriatic Sea and is know for its whitewashed walls and houses. It has a captivating medieval centre with a 15thC cathedral. Cross the town and enter the lush countryside to walk an old farmer’s path through olive groves bordered by stone walls. Return to Alberobello for overnight.
- Day 6 Locorotondo, Cisternino, Martina Franca. This is a strolling day of the three enchanting villages in the Itria Valley: Locorotondo, classified as one of the most beautiful towns in Italy and known for its DOC white wine; the white-washed village of Cisternino; Martina Franca, a Baroque gem. Return to Alberobello for overnight.
- Day 7 Arrangements end after breakfast.
- Day 8
- Day 9
- Day 10
- Day 11
- Day 12
- Day 13
- Day 14
- Day 15
- Day 16
- Day 17
- Day 18
- Day 19
- Day 20
Extension to – – 0 Nights/0 Days
Itinerary and Highlights