Lisbon Coast and Villages to the Algarve, Portugal
Footloose- 8 Nights/9 Days
An independent walking journey from where the famous Portuguese explorers set sail for the New World off the coast of Lisbon.
We explore restored palaces, majestic churches, hilltop castles reflecting the city’s rich cultural heritage on this European walking tour – plus time to explore beautiful Sintra and trails along the wild coastline. Transfer to the south and the beautiful Algarve to walk in the Cape St Vincent Natural Park. Fabulous beaches and secret coves invite you to extend your walking holiday, soak up the sun and relax.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 Arrive Lisbon – Private transfer to Sintra. Delightful Sintra is a dense concentration of palaces amid a magical world of peaks, gorges and woods where you spend the next four nights.
- Day 2 A circuit walk takes you up to Cruz Alta passing Pena Palace and gardens and the Castelo dos Mouros (8th C Moors Castle) on the way (10km/7.5miles).
- Day 3 Transfer to Colares high in the Serra Mountains where you walk from the conical towers of the Sintra National Palace. The palace has seen a succession of histories, cultures and royal houses come and go since its first incarnation in Moorish times. Walk up to the old monastery of Peninha then onto the palace of Monserrate with time to visit the gardens. Transfer back to Sintra (16km/10miles).
- Day 4 Transfer to Almoçame for a walk that takes you through the countryside to the coast and Cabo da Roca - the most westerly point in Europe. Cliffs spill down into secluded bays and coves of wide golden sand beaches. Return by local bus (12.8km/8miles).
- Day 5 Transfer to Lisbon. Today is free to discover Lisbon. Trundle the old town on an historic tram, ride the old wrought iron Elevador de Santa Justa for a coffee and superb views across the Baixa rooftops.
- Day 6 Lisbon. Morning city tour visiting the main attractions including Avenida da Liberdade, Rossio, the picturesque old Alfama Quarter, Black Horse Square, Belem Tower, the Monument to the Discoveries and Jeronimos Monastery. Afternoon free.
- Day 7 Travel south to Lagos in the Algarve by coach to arrive about 2pm. Wander the cobbled streets of this historical town from where most of the African expeditions put to sea during the time of the Great Discoveries.
- Day 8 Guided walk in the Cape St Vincent Natural Park – an area of unspoilt beaches backdropped by dramatic cliffs where endemic plant life is found, wildlife and 200 species of birds.
- Day 9 Walking holiday arrangements end after breakfast. Travel by coach to Seville in Spain or book additional nights in the Algarve to relax and enjoy the sun.
- Day 10
- Day 11
- Day 12
- Day 13
- Day 14
- Day 15
- Day 16
- Day 17
- Day 18
- Day 19
- Day 20
Extension to – Footloose – 0 Nights/0 Days
Itinerary and Highlights