Italy's Amalfi Coast
Footloose- 7 Nights/8 Days
The fame of the Amalfi Coast is due to its outstanding beauty.
Your independent walking holiday begins in Ravello, high above the sea to the elegant resort of Positano. Follow a walking route along ancient paths and stairways linking isolated villages, across hills with lemon and chestnut groves, vineyards and meadows. Descend to the coast each day to enjoy the lively hospitality and Campania cuisine. The area is renowned for its pasta, mozzarella and pizza as well as the frutti di mare - specialities from the sea, described as the best Europe has to offer!
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 Arrive Ravello high above the Amalfi Coast in Italy.
- Day 2 Explore the elegant villas and ancient monuments of Ravello and in the afternoon walk to the quaint fishing village of Atrani. Return to Ravello for overnight.
- Day 3 Walk to Amalfi via Scala, the oldest “little” city of the coast then along the high path of the Valle delle Ferriere, a natural reserve of meadows, chestnut groves and waterfalls.
- Day 4 Day free in Amalfi with optional walk.
- Day 5 The 1,000 year old Maestro dei Villagi footpath leads through ancient villages to the tiny fishing village of Conca dei Marina.
- Day 6 A stepped footpath descends into the spectacular Italian forde of Furore, its clustered houses built into the rock. Follow the ‘Val del Amore’ to the quiet village of Vettica Maggiore. Return to Conca dei Marina for overnight.
- Day 7 From Vettica Maggiore climb up to the monastery of San Domenica and along the “Pathway of the Gods” before descending through olive groves to the lively resort of Positano.
- Day 8 Walking holiday ends after breakfast. Please enquire about extending your stay in Positano and excursions to the Isle of Capri, Sorrento, Pompeii plus additional walks in Italy.
- Day 9
- Day 10
- Day 11
- Day 12
- Day 13
- Day 14
- Day 15
- Day 16
- Day 17
- Day 18
- Day 19
- Day 20
Extension to Isle of Capri – Footloose – 2 Nights/3 Days
Instead of visiting Capri in one day from Positano, stay 2 nights on this magical island paradise.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 8 Travel by boat from Positano to the famous island of Capri, the island where Roman emperors holidayed. It has never lost its fame and popularity since this time. You will not only see the ‘touristy’ highlights, but also take a beautiful circuit walk, passing the ruins of the most impressive Roman villa, the untouched coastline and many grotto’s. This walk can be extended or shortened in many ways, according to how much walking, relaxing or shopping you wish to do. In the evening dine at one of the many charming romantic restaurants. Hotel *** -Capri/Anacapri. Distance: 8 km. Approx. 4 h. walking
- Day 9 Today’s walk is on the less famous side of the island of Capri, the more rural and mountainous Anacapri. Ascend by chairlift (‘funicular’) up to the highest mountain of the island, the Mount Solaro, from where you can enjoy marvellous views over the island, the Bay of Naples, the Bay of Salerno and the Amalfi Coast. Descending along the ridge and down to the lighthouse at the western tip of the island, where you have the opportunity for a swim in the clear sea water. The walk then continues along the coast, past a number of fortresses, some built by the English to defend the island from the fleet of Napoleon. The walk ends at the world famous ‘Blue Grotto’ (Grotta Azzurra’). Return to your hotel by bus. Hotel *** - Capri/Anacapri. Distance: 8 km. Approx. 4 h. walking
- Day 10 Walking holiday ends after breakfast. Return by boat to Naples where you can either take a shuttle bus to the airport or rail connections anywhere in Italy.