Côte Vermeille to the Spanish Border
Footloose- 7 Nights/8 Days
The Côte Vermeille in the south east part of France is bathed in warm Mediterranean sunshine most of the year.
The peaks of the Pyrenees provide a dramatic backdrop to this walking holiday in which you explore on foot of the coast either side of the Franco-Spanish border. This is Catalonia, vibrant and proud of its distinct culture, you walk between the charming fishing villages, small rocky coves, craggy headlands and rugged cliffs, below which the sea sparkles in the bright sunlight. Unsurprisingly, the coast (in French the Côte Vermeille, in Spanish the Costa Brava) and its fishing villages have long attracted many artists, among them Dalí and Picasso. You walk from Collioure, the most beautiful French town of the coast to Cadaqués and discover the lure of this region.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 Arrive Collioure.
- Day 2 Explore Collioure and its three beaches before setting off into the maquis-covered hills behind Port-Vendres. You descend to the port and then follow quiet lanes and cliff-top paths around the rugged Cape Béar headland. Wind your way through vineyards to reach Banyuls (13km, 4hrs).
- Day 3 Free day in Banyuls with 3 hour optional walk in the hills and vineyards behind the port.
- Day 4 Transfer to the beach at Garvet and walk round the bay. The coastal path leads around the wild Cape Ras then hugs the coastline all the way to Port de la Selva passing secluded coves and popular beaches (11km, 3.5hrs).
- Day 5 Day free at Port de Selva relaxing on the beach. Optional walk to the huge monastery of Sant Pere de Rodes in the hills behind the coast for astonishing views.
- Day 6 Climax of the walk takes you across rugged Cape Creus, Spain’s easternmost point, to the delightful fishing village of Cadaqués.
You pass the lovely ruins of the Hermitage of Sant Baldiri de Taballera to reach a viewpoint from which you can see the Pyrenees and the monastery of Sant Pere de Rodes in good weather (13.5km, 5hrs).
- Day 7 Explore the cobbled streets of Cadaqués then walk north via the village of Port Lligat to Dalí’s house. Continue along the coastline, passing numerous small, sandy coves to reach the lighthouse at Cape Creus.
- Day 8 Walking holiday ends after breakfast.
- Day 9
- Day 10
- Day 11
- Day 12
- Day 13
- Day 14
- Day 15
- Day 16
- Day 17
- Day 18
- Day 19
- Day 20
Extension to – – 0 Nights/0 Days
Itinerary and Highlights