Cooking and Walking in Umbria
Footloose- 9 Nights/10 Days
This three-centre cooking and walking holiday takes you to the heart of the Umbrian countryside staying in a beautiful villa, a typical farmhouse and a country house with glorious views to Assisi.
The spectacular Italian landscape falls away from the Apennines in forested hills where truffles grow and wild boar roam to open verdant plains. Umbria is no less famous for its superb wines - reds from Montefalco and the Vino Nobile of Montepulciano.
“Umbria and Tuscany offer an authentic Italian cooking experience with fresh local seasonal produce, game, herbs and great wines to boot. The unhurried pace of life ,‘La Dolce Vita’ allows you to enjoy the pretty landscapes, rustic villages, history and architecture at your own pace”. - Annabelle White
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 Arrive Montepulciano and spend the afternoon exploring this walled town.
- Day 2 Morning walk of the town with the possibility of visiting a wine cave. Afternoon cooking course at the beautiful villa you are staying at.
- Day 3 Walk from Castello di Mongiovino to Panicale, a lovely medieval hamlet in the hills surrounding Lake Trasimeno’s southern shore.
- Day 4 Cooking course in a rustic farmhouse in the country, then dine on your own efforts.
- Day 5 Walk over hills that become rolling. Emerge from thick woods to see a breathtaking view of Assisi.
- Day 6 Day free in Assisi to explore this charming town and especially St Francis’ Basilica and Giotti’s superb frescoes. Optional loop walk to the top of Eremo delle Carceri, Saint Francis’ peaceful retreat.
- Day 7 Assisi/ Spello - 6 hrs
Start from your hotel and walk a trail which cuts through the Subasio park and unfolds among olive groves to reach Spello a lovely village with cobbled streets and peaceful squares. Much less touristy and quieter after the Assisi crowd.
- Day 8 Enjoy a spectacular walk from Collemancio to Bevagna in the heart of the best Umbria wine area. Visit a genuine rustic cellar of a Sagrantino di Montefalco producer.
- Day 9 Transfer to Orvieto. Explore fascinating Etruscan tombs then ride the elevator to the crag top to explore the cobbled lanes and stunning Duomo.You can dine in an authentic cave restaurant, remnant from Etruscan times.
- Day 10 Cooking and walking tour arrangements end after breakfast.
- Day 11
- Day 12
- Day 13
- Day 14
- Day 15
- Day 16
- Day 17
- Day 18
- Day 19
- Day 20
Extension to – – 0 Nights/0 Days
Itinerary and Highlights