Footloose- 7 Nights/8 Days
Walk between the skies and the sea along the spectacular Liguerian Coast in Northern Italy.
This footloose walking holiday follows panoramic footpaths and quiet mule tracks through olive groves, chestnut woods and vineyards to the centuries old villages of the Cinque Terre.
Clinging precariously to buttresses of rock or on the side of steep ravines, the “Five Lands” are a perfect mixture of landscape and culture.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 Arrive Santa Margherita di Ligure, Italy.
- Day 2 Visit the ancient monastery of San Frattuoso then walk above the shore of Portofino, descending through olive groves and small hamlets with the picturesque harbour in your sights.
- Day 3 From the sanctuary of Montallegro, high above Rapallo, walk to Chiavari. Overnight at the quaint seaside village of Bonassola or Moneglia.
- Day 4 Hike to the first of the Cinque Terre villages, Monterosso. Explore the medieval walls and loggia of Levanto on the way then ascend through olive groves and vines over the ridge to Monterosso.
- Day 5 Free day to explore Monterosso - or relax on the beach.
- Day 6 Walk the famous coastal path passing by all five villages from Riomaggiore to Monterosso. Visit the beautiful villages of Manarola, Corniglia and Vernazza – all clinging precariously to the rocky shores.
- Day 7 Return to Riomaggiore from Monterosso and walk through pine and chestnut woods to Portovenere. Enjoy a boat ride back seeing the villages from another perspective.
- Day 8 Walking trip ends after breakfast. There are easy rail connections to Pisa in the south Italy or Genoa in the north.
- Day 9
- Day 10
- Day 11
- Day 12
- Day 13
- Day 14
- Day 15
- Day 16
- Day 17
- Day 18
- Day 19
- Day 20
Extension to Tuscan Mini Stay – Footloose – 3 Nights/4 Days
....between Italy’s great “art cities” of Florence and Siena, lies the historic medieval walled town of San Gimignano. Ramble through the gentle landscape of rolling hillsides and vineyards to explore the timeless beauty of Tuscany’s unspoilt hilltop towns.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 Arrive San Gimignano.
- Day 2 San Gimignano. Meander through the narrow streets and alleys, followed by a circuit walk through the surrounding hills. There are several varieties of famous local wine to sample, namely “Vernaccia”, wild boar and Sergio Dondoli world-famous gelato.
- Day 3 Take the local bus to the charming medieval town of Colle di Val d’Elsa and amble back through the characteristic Tuscan landscape to San Gimignano.
- Day 4 Arrangements end after breakfast. Extra nights can be added to allow day trips to Siena & Florence.