Burgundy, Wine & Food Lover's Wander
Footloose- 5 Nights/6 Days
Dijon to Beaune/Beaune to Cluny. This walking tour through prestigious vineyards in France will lead you from Dijon to Beaune, capital of the Burgundy wine region.
A walking holiday that discovers the Cotes de Nuit and the Cote de Beaune which are on and off the Gran Cru route.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 Arrive Dijon. Meet your local route manager for a briefing.
- Day 2 Dijon to Gevrey-Chambertin (16km).
Walk through vineyards to Gevrey-Chambertin.
- Day 3 Gevrey-Chambertin to Nuits St Georges (14 km).
Walk through the most renowned vineyards of Cote de Nuits: Gevrey Chambertin; Chambolle Musigny; Vougeot; and Vosne Romanee.
- Day 4 Nuits St Georges to Beaune (22km).
Today you will leave the landscapes of the Hautes Coted de Beaune to discover the panoramic landscapes of the Haute Cotes de Nuits. Arrive Beaune – the wine capital of Burgundy.
- Day 5 Beaune. Day free - visit the 15thC Hospices of Beaune with its dazzling mosaic tiled roof, Chapelle St Jacques and the wine museum.
- Day 6 Walking holiday ends after breakfast.
- Day 7
- Day 8
- Day 9
- Day 10
- Day 11
- Day 12
- Day 13
- Day 14
- Day 15
- Day 16
- Day 17
- Day 18
- Day 19
- Day 20
Extension to Beaune to Cluny – Footloose – 5 Nights/6 Days
Walk the French hillsides flanked by stome walls, walking village to village, stopping to admire ancient sites, Romanesque churches till you eventually reach Cluny, the spiritual centre of Europe in the Middle Ages.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Day 1 or 6 Arrive Beaune. Meet your local route manager for a briefing.
- Day 2 or 7 Beaune to Chagny (18km).
Cross hills of vines of the Cotes de Beaune and pass through villages from Volnay to Mersault. You will come to Chagny, a town with lovely residences and a 15C watch tower.
- Day 3 or 8 Chagny to Givry (19km). Cross vineyards via Rully and the Gallo-Roman camp, the charming village of Mercurey, pass crosses and wash houses along the pilgrims way to arrive Givry.
- Day 4 or 9 Givry to Saint Gengoux Le National (17km).
Along the route of the Voie Verte discover forest scenery and country villages with cadoles (ancient stone huts built by wine growers), wash houses and fountains. At Saint Gengoux le National visit the Romanesque church with its 15C ramparts, gargoyles and belfry.
- Day or 10 Saint Gengoux Le National to Cluny (23km).
Todays walk is hillier. Visit Cormatin and the great pilgrimage site of Taize. End you walk in Cluny, a pretty town with crumbling fortifications and splendid abbey.
Day 6 or Day 11: Walking tour ends after breakfast